Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera Review

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR
It's finally here, It hit the shelves (May 2009). This digital SLR camera is much better than the D40. And a bit better than the D60. The high ISO settings (it's ability to shoot in low light is where it beats the D60.
However, I don't like it as much as the as the D90.

What's Cool
  • The 11 point auto focus is much better than the D40 & D60.
  • The low light (High ISO) capabilities are better than the D40 & D60.
  • 12.3 megapixals (Matches the D300 and D90) Double the number of than D40 and it's a little higher than the 10 megapixal D60.
  • You can film HD movies like the D90.

Not so Cool
  • The D5000 has Live View - Live view works like cheaper point and shoot cameras. I find it very difficult to compose shots with live view. I always use the view finder (eye piece). You can use the view finder (eye piece) on all digital SLR cameras.
  • Vari-angle (swivel), 2.7-in monitor. I think the uses for this are rare and I'm worried about the durability. I like the monitor on the D90 and D300 much better and the D90/D300 monitor is larger and the resolution is higher.
  • 4 frames per second a little slower than the D90 and little faster than the D60 (I wish it shot 5 or 6 frames per second)
Summary
For a little extra money I would go with the Nikon D90 Digital SLR. However, If you have the need to shoot in low light and the price of the D90 is too high, I like this camera much better than the D40 and D60.

The D5000 is currently running about $200 - $250 more than the D60. If you don't see yourself shooting in low light without the flash and don't care about the video then go with the D60.

If you have read my other reviews you know I only recommend shopping at one place. That's B&H photo.


Check the price here at B&H photo

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body)

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR w/18-55 and 55-200 VR Lens

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm VR Lens

Take it for a test run by renting it for a week from borrowlenses.com
Nikon D5000 Digital SLR at borrowlenses.com

~

No comments:

Post a Comment